This easy vegetarian quiche recipe is made with spinach, ricotta cheese, eggs, tomatoes and basil. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or brunch or serve it with a salad for a light dinner.
Spinach Ricotta Quiche
You may have tried my chicken quiche a few weeks ago, it’s the same basic quiche recipe which is so versatile, you can swap just about anything except the milk and eggs. Here I went for summer flavors I love, inspired from my father in laws Italian frittata which he makes with ricotta, delicious!
I used refrigerated pie dough to make this quick, you can also use a pre-baked shell. If you use unbaked dough, you’ll want to prick the dough with a fork all over once it’s in a pie dish and partially bake it before adding the eggs and filling.
- For a low-carb option you can omit the pie crust and add more eggs and filling. Spray the pie dish with cooking spray before adding the eggs.
- Add a few cooked links of Italian chicken sausage removed from the casings.
- Add roasted peppers or artichokes.
You May Also Enjoy:
Spinach Ricotta Quiche
- refrigerated Dough for 1 (9-inch) pie crust
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta
- 1/3 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured work surface until it’s approximately 11 to 12-inches in diameter.
- Transfer it to a 9-inch metal or glass pie dish. Using your fingers, press it firmly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Trim off any excess, leaving about 1/2-inch overhanging. Then fold/crimp the overhanging dough.
- Prick the bottom of the pie crust with the tines of a fork. Transfer the pie crust to your pre-heated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until par-baked.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl combine eggs with spinach, milk, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, basil and salt; mix well.
- Pour mixture into the par-baked pie crust.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta with mozzarella and remaining parmesan.
- Dollop the ricotta all around and top and place tomatoes around the cheese.
- Place foil on the edges of the crust to prevent them from burning.
- Place quiche on cookie sheet and bake on the middle oven rack for 50 to 55 minutes, or until top is browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool before serving.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1 slice
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 225 calories
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 178mg
- Sodium: 366.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 12g
All images and text ©