1) Fish from China – Due to limited regulations of farmed foods, many Chinese foods are deemed unsafe for excess human consumption. Farmed fish endure poor living conditions. In order to produce more mass, fish are frequently pumped with antibiotics. Farmed seafood such as tilapia and shrimp are considered unhealthy food choices. All images credited to: Wikimedia Commons
2) Rice from China –When reports surfaced that most of China’s rice has been contaminated, health authorities conducted tests that tested almost one thousand different rice containing food products. The results showed that almost one-third of the foods contained high levels of aluminum that exceeded national standards. In addition, 44 percent of rice and rice products tested in Guangzhou was found to have high levels of cadmium, a heavy metal that damages internal organs and causes cancer.
3) Artificial Sweeteners – Do not be fooled by the idea that artificial sweeteners can inhibit weight gain. In fact, artificial sweeteners can cause a person to gain weight because it can compromise the body’s ability to determine calorie amounts. Many artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame, can act as neurotransmitters in the body and wreak havoc on the neurological and endocrine systems. The effects of these products can range from weight gain, diabetes, birth defects, organ damage, tumors, seizures, brain damage, cancer, and so on.
4) Canned Tomatoes – Aluminum cans are lined with a protective resin that contains biphenyl (BPA). Canned tomatoes have a high acidity level that breaks down BPA at a rapid pace. High levels of BPA can pose a risk.
5) Non-Organic Beef – Non-organic beef is one of the most widely scrutinized foods. Cows are fed GMO soy products and corn even though cows are supposed to eat grass. There pumped with hormones and chemicals that become part of the products sold in local supermarkets.
6) Microwave Popcorn – Microwave popcorn bags are lined with perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA). PFOA is linked strongly to infertility. When the popcorn is microwaved, the PFOA is heated and leaked into the popcorn.
8) Dairy Milk – Once again many farms treat cows in a way that make them unfit to produce any kind of consumer goods. Milk is another one of those products. Lactation is a highly sensitive process it is meant to transfer nutrients from a mother to her young. Virtually any type of chemical that is in a female’s body can be transferred into her milk. Non-organic milk is not safe for consumption.
9) Fruit– Similar to potatoes non-organic fruit is often a GMO product and is doused with pesticides, insecticides, and herbicides during the growing process. Health risks of consuming non-GMO foods include low nutritional value, acid reflux, diarrhea, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, infertility, allergies, antibiotic resistance, and more.
10) Soy– Studies have shown that soy and soy products are often GMO products that contain high levels of an estrogen-like chemical. High levels of estrogen can create infertility in females and other unwanted side effects in both males and females.
It is time to change the way we eat. Price is one of the main concerns for shoppers when it comes to considering organic foods. The more shoppers demand and consume organic foods the lower the prices will become. Fruits and vegetables usually contain a number code. The codes represent the growing process. Four numbers are “conventionally grown” foods (which means non-GMO but with pesticides), five numbers starting with an “8” is GMO food, and five numbers starting with a “9” is organic. Look at the ingredients in the food products you purchase. If it contains nitrates, nitrites, HGH, artificial sweeteners, or a laundry list of chemicals then its probably not safe to eat. Many “made in china” products contain HGH and other ingredients that shoppers should stay away from. It is important as an individual to monitor your own eating habits and make decisions that are healthy for yourself and those whom you may be providing for, because as the saying goes “you are what you eat”. So eat health to be healthy.