Do you often keep your bobble on your wrist?
Well beware, apparently they can cause severe infections.
Audree Kopp learned the hard way that you shouldn’t keep hair ties on your wrist after she developed an infection so serious she had to have surgery.
As the lump got increased in size and redness, she went to her doctor who prescribed antibiotics, but they failed to tackle the infection.
Audree went to the E and they said she needed emergency surgery with Dr Amit Gupta at Norton Healthcare, who sliced the pus-filled abscess to remove the infected fluid.
Gupta claimed it was likely that bacteria from Audree’s glittery hair tie got under her skin through her pores and hair follicles causing three types of infection (strep, staph and poly negative).
He advised: ‘Be careful, you can’t put all these hair ties around the wrist because it can cause problems with the skin.
Audree told WLKY that she wouldn’t do it again, explaining: ‘It could have been a whole different ballgame.
‘Once it gets into your bloodstream be are known to go into a coma, your body shuts down. It could have been way worse.’