17 May 2014
Last updated at 21:10
The Chinese government has evacuated more than 3,000 of its national from Vietnam following a wave of anti-Chinese riots, Chinese media report.
State-run Xinhua news agency says Beijing is arranging charter flights and ships to help more people to leave.
At least two Chinese nationals have been killed and 100 injured in recent unrest in Vietnam over a Chinese oil rig drilling in disputed waters.
On Saturday the Vietnamese government called for an end to the protests.
Officials said “illegal acts” would be stopped as they could damage national stability.
However, dissident groups have urged people to rally again in major cities on Sunday.
Foreign-owned factories – which included Chinese, Taiwanese and South Korean businesses – have been set on fire in Vietnam recent days.
Correspondents say the attacks appear to have worried authorities, as Hanoi depends heavily on foreign investment for economic growth.
The protests have been triggered by China’s decision to move its Haiyang Shiyou 981 oil rig into contested waters in the South China Sea.
This led to confrontations between Vietnamese and Chinese ships earlier this month, as Vietnam sought to block the move.
China insists it will continue drilling in the area, west of the Paracel Islands – which are controlled by China but also claimed by Vietnam, and Taiwan.
Nationalist sentiment is currently running very high in Vietnam over the issue, correspondents say.
17 May 2014 | 9:10 pm – Source: bbc.co.uk