BBC News – Paul and Sandra Dunham taken to hospital ahead of US extradition

Police outside the home of Paul and Sandra DunhamPolice were called to the home of Paul and Sandra Dunham after concerns were raised for their welfare

A couple due to be extradited to the United States over fraud and money laundering charges have been taken to hospital.

Paul and Sandra Dunham, from Northampton, had been due to report to a London police station at 10:00 BST before being flown out of the country.

Police went to their home at about 07:15 BST and forced entry to the house in Winding Brooke Lane.

A force spokesman said two people had been taken to hospital in the town.

BBC Radio Northampton reporter Tom Percival said the couple were put in separate ambulances.

He said Mr Dunham walked into an ambulance with “limited assistance”, with his wife being brought out of the house under blankets and in a wheelchair.

Police said they called called over concerns about the couple’s “welfare”. Their condition is not yet known.

Lives ‘shattered’

Mr Dunham, 58, had been chief executive and president of Pace, a US company manufacturing soldering irons for the electronics industry.

Sandra and Paul DunhamThe Dunhams had hoped the British and European courts would intervene

He has been indicted on 13 counts of fraud and money laundering by a grand jury in Maryland in December 2011.

Mrs Dunham, 58, is accused of aiding and abetting him.

They have previously said they “vehemently reject” the allegations and that extradition could potentially see them remanded in separate cells in US prison “with murderers and rapists” for more than a year before any trial.

Mr Dunham told BBC Radio Northampton on Tuesday the pair could be granted bail by a court 24 hours after arrival, but without being able to take any money into the country they would not be able to afford to live.

Their extradition was rejected by both the High Court and the European Court of Human Rights earlier this year.

Dunham's Facebook pageThe Dunhams have a Facebook page which details their case

They were due to attend Belgravia Police Station at 10:00 BST before being taken to Heathrow Airport to meet US marshals and be extradited later.

The High Court hearing in February was told the couple’s lives had been “shattered” by the legal proceedings lobbied against them.

It heard they had lost their jobs, home and assets in the US and were declared bankrupt in the UK, causing their mental and physical health to suffer “severely”.

The couple worked in the States between 1999 and 2009.

15 May 2014 | 10:18 am – Source:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.