Bertha Guymer: Rings stolen from 94-year-old as she lay dying in Queen’s Hospital on Rom Valley Way in Romford, Essex, claim family

Rings stolen from 94-year-old as she lay dying, family claim
The rings at the hospital, say family (Picture: SWNS)

A woman who had worn her wedding rings for 74 years without taking them off had them stolen as she lay dying in hospital, her family have claimed.

Bertha Guymer, who died aged 94 at Queen’s Hospital on Rom Valley Way in Romford, Essex, would have been ‘devastated’ to have been without them, her daughter said.

Pat Nicholls, 71, from Hornchurch, said it would require ‘a lot of force’ to remove the rings from her mother’s fingers, which were swollen with arthritis.

The trust which runs the hospital said they could not account for the loss, despite an investigation they described as ‘extensive’.

Collect photo of Bertha Guymer's rings. See swns story SWRING. A grieving family are demanding answers from hospital chiefs after a dying woman's rings went missing from the finger she had worn them on - for 74 YEARS.Devastated daughter Pat Nicholls, 71, has condemned the 'despicable' person who 'stole' her mum Bertha Guymer's wedding and engagement rings as she lay dying in a ward.The gold and platinum rings, given to the 94-year-old great-grandmother-of-seven when she married Robert Guymer in 1940, went missing from her finger last month at Queen's Hospital, in Romford, Essex.Her family say it is not possible for the diamond rings to have fallen from Bertha's finger, because she suffered from severe arthritis.Former dressmaker and mum-of-two Bertha, from Romford, died from 'old age' on May 10 after a short spell in hospital, ten years after RAF war hero husband Robert passed away.Pat, a retired cleaner from Hornchurch, Essex, said: "It is absolutely disgusting. Someone ripped those rings from my dying mother's fingers."That's the only explanation. Her arthritis was so bad there was no way they could have fallen off.
Mrs Guymer’s fingers were swollen (Picture: SWNS)

Mrs Nicholls’ son Robert, 50, said it was impossible that the rings fell off.

‘Mum held her hand in the ambulance to reassure her so she knew she had the rings on her hand then,’ he said.

Mrs Nicholls insisted the theft would have taken place during the two days between Mrs Guymer’s admission to hospital and her death.

The deputy nursing chief for the trust that runs the hospital, Judith Douglas, apologised for the failure of the investigation.

The trust which runs the hospital say they could not account for the loss Picture: Google Maps
The trust could not account for the ‘loss’ (Picture: Google Maps)

‘We have carried out an extensive investigation but to no avail and I can only apologise unreservedly to the family for that,’ she said.

6 June 2014 | 3:31 pm – Source:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.