British Honeymoon Couple Killer On The Run

One of the killers of a British couple murdered on their honeymoon has escaped from prison, police in Antigua have said.

Ben and Catherine Mullany, from Pontardawe, South Wales, were shot dead in their hotel room on the holiday island in 2008.

The couple, both aged 31, had been married for little more than a fortnight.

Five weeks after witnessing the couple’s wedding at St John The Evangelist Church in Cilybebyll, their parents were attending their funeral.

Local men Avie Howell and Kaniel Martin were convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Police confirmed that Howell has escaped from Her Majesty’s Prison on the island, along with Kenroy Laurie Marshall, who had been detained on fraud charges.

Both are considered armed and dangerous and should not be approached.

Counsellor Jamal Wright, who is based at St John’s police station, said: “Avie Howell escaped from Her Majesty’s Prison at about 6am on Thursday along with Kenroy Laurie Marshall.

“Apparently they used a sharp implement to cut out a portion of mesh and jumped over the northern prison wall, which is about 30ft (9m) high.”

The couple’s family were said to be “extremely shocked” at the news and concerned Howell might flee the island.

A source said: “You would have thought they would have kept him under lock and key.”

Sergeant Raymond Finley said he believed Howell, who is in his early 20s, was still on the island and a search was under way.

“I understand the victims’ families will be very concerned,” he said.

Police corporal Frankie Thomas said the authorities are confident of finding the pair.

He said: “We have not yet had any confirmed sightings but we have had a lot of calls from the public.

“Antigua is a very small island and something does not stay a secret here for long.”

Howell and Martin broke into Mr and Mrs Mullany’s chalet at the Cocos Hotel in a dawn raid in July 2008.

The pair, who lived in Rhos, near Pontardawe, were both shot in the head before their killers made off with their phones, a digital camera and cash.

Mrs Mullany, a qualified doctor, died instantly. Her husband, a physiotherapy student, was flown home on a life-support machine.

The former South Yorkshire Police officer died a week after the shooting, despite the best efforts of his wife’s colleagues at Morriston Hospital in Swansea.

Three years to the day after the killings, Howell and Martin were found guilty of the couple’s murder and also the shooting of 43-year-old shopkeeper Woneta Anderson.

If the article suppose to have a video or a photo gallery and it does not appear on your screen, please Click Here

20 June 2014 | 1:09 pm – Source:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.