Chicken, tomatoes, bacon, avocado, eggs, blue cheese and lettuce all conveniently layered in a jar with a light homemade ranch – portable and perfect to make ahead to take to work, school, the beach, park or anywhere you want a delicious meal on the go! This is a very large salad, with plenty of protein so it will leave you full for hours.
If you’re not familiar with jar salads, the dressing goes on the bottom layered with vegetables that don’t wilt and topped with the more delicate lettuces. I wasn’t sure how the avocado would hold up, but I ate my second salad two days later at the beach and it was still perfect (mine was not too ripe). To eat, shake it all up and pour it onto a plate. Note: if you prefer to use powdered buttermilk instead of buying a carton, that would work fine (or you can make my buttermilk oven “fried” chicken from my cookbook with your extra buttermilk).
Cobb Salad in a Jar with Buttermilk Ranch
Chicken, tomatoes, bacon, avocado, eggs, blue cheese and lettuce all conveniently layered in a jar with a light homemade ranch – portable and perfect to make ahead to take to work, school, the beach, park or anywhere you want a delicious meal on the go!
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped scallion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh black pepper
- 2 strips center-cut bacon
- 10 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 ounces (1/2 small) avocado, diced
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 4 ounces cooked or grilled chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 ounce (1 generous tablespoon) crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Set aside
- Cook the bacon according to package directions. Once cooked, place strips on a paper towel lined plate and allow to cool. Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, avocado, eggs, and chicken. Once cool, chop the bacon.
- In each quart size mason jar, divide all ingredients evenly. Layer the dressing, chicken, tomato, eggs, cheese, bacon and top with chopped romaine and avocado (I suggest adding avocado the day you plan to eat it).
Yield: 2 Servings, Serving Size: 1 jar
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 9
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 368
- Total Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 274mg
- Sodium: 674mg
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sugar: 7g
- Protein: 32g