EE has told customers to stop using all models of its Power Bar battery recharger owing to a fire risk and to return them to stores. The units were offered to EE customers as a way to charge phones when on-the-go.
The move is an extension of a recall issued in August, which covered only a certain model of the device. The recall was issued after customers complained that the devices had caught fire. Some suffered burns.
EE said at the time that it was not aware that the problem affected other models but has now changed tack, saying that it is safer for all devices to stop being used and disposed of to avoid the risk of injury.
“We’re recalling all EE Power Bars. This is just a precaution, but we want to make sure all our customers are safe. If you have a Power Bar, you should stop using it straight away and hand it in to one of our stores,” EE said on its website.
“We’re taking this action because we’re aware of a very small number of further incidents where Power Bars have overheated in circumstances that could cause a fire safety risk.”
— EE (@EE) December 16, 2015
Customers who are eligible for a refund will be given a £20 voucher to spend on accessories in the EE store. EE has not said whether it will offer any new versions of the device in the future.
“At the moment we’re fully focused on the recall. We’ll share more information soon,” the firm said.
The recall is not ideal for EE, especially in the run-up to Christmas when the operator will hope to tempt people to its network on new devices. However, as the brand is likely to be subsumed into BT as and when the deal is closed the damage from the recall may be minimal.