England Held By Honduras In World Cup Warm-Up

England were held to a goalless draw by 10-man Honduras in a storm-delayed final World Cup warm-up friendly in Miami.

Play was suspended midway through the first half at Sun Life Stadium because of storms and a mandatory 30-minute suspension was called.

In a feisty encounter Brayan Beckeles was sent off in the second half after catching Leighton Baines in the head with a raised arm, but England could not find a way through.

Roy Hodgson’s men started brightly and Danny Welbeck went close to scoring after just four minutes when he fired in a shot which Honduras goalkeeper Noel Valladares fumbled before gathering at the second attempt.

England continued to call the tune in the opening exchanges and WayneRooney tried his luck on 14 minutes with a free-kick from the edge of the box which Valladares again spilled.

The Three Lions should have broken the deadlock on 22 minutes after a flowing move involving Rooney, Welbeck and Daniel Sturridge.

Rooney fed the ball in towards Welbeck, who cleverly stepped over the pass to allow Sturridge in on goal, but with only Valladares he dragged his effort wide.

Minutes later the game was halted as referee Ricardo Salazar took the players off the field.

Shortly after the restart Jerry Bengston had a sight of goal for Honduras when he capitalised on a mistake by Adam Lallana, but he could only poke his shot straight at Joe Hart.

Things threatened to boil over just past the half hour when Emilio Izaguirre was lucky to escape a red card after tripping up Sturridge and then blasting the ball into the striker from close range while he was lying on the ground.

Honduras had a sight of goal 10 minutes before the break when Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana combined to bring down Roger Espinoza and Marvin Chavez drove the resulting free-kick just over.

Hodgson made two changes at the break, with Ross Barkley and Jack Wilshere coming on for Rooney and Steven Gerrard.

The two substitutes almost had an immediate impact as Barkley played a neat one-two with Wilshere on the edge of the box before the Everton man curled his effort just wide.

Sturridge had a sight of goal on 54 minutes, but his audacious chip landed well wide of the target.

England went close to making the breakthrough just before the hour mark when the ball broke to Welbeck inside the box, but he saw his stabbed shot kept out by the legs of Valladares.

Sturridge should have broken the deadlock 16 minutes from time when Glen Johnson picked him out unmarked inside the six-yard box with a cross from the right, but the striker wastefully headed his effort over the crossbar.

In the final minute Lallana almost got on the end of a pass from substitute Frank Lampard inside the box, but Valladares was quickly off his line to rob the ball from his feet.

8 June 2014 | 7:16 am – Source: orange.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.