Iraq: IS Plot To Target Paris And US Subways

Islamic State has been planning an attack on subway systems in the US and Paris, Iraq’s prime minister has warned.

Prime Minister Haider al Abadisaid the bomb plot had not yet been thwarted, though the United States had been alerted.

However, unnamed American officials told US media they had no evidence to support the Iraqi premier’s claim.

A congressional source told Reuters news agency lawmakers had not received any intelligence briefings about such a plot.

Mr al Adabimade the announcement on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York.

He did not specifya location in the US for the supposed attack.

Mr al Adabitold a small group of US reporters: “Today, while I am here, I am receiving accurate reports from Baghdad where there was arrest of few elements and there are networks planning from inside Iraq to have attacks.

“They plan to have attacks in the metros of Paris and the US,” he added. “From the details I have received, yes it looks credible.”

There was no immediate official statement from Washington or France.

US and European leaders have voiced concerns that IS might send jihadists with Western passports home to launch terrorist attacks.

Mr al Abad’sremarks follow a third night ofairstrikeson IS targets in Syria by an American and Arab coalition, expanding on weeks of attacks by the US on the group in Iraq.

Speaking at the Assembly earlier, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said the West must take responsibility for strategic foreign policy “blunders” which have contributed to the rise of extremism.

Mr Rouhani told the United Nations the West had helped create “terror havens” in parts of the Middle East and Central Asia.

“Improper interference in the developments in Syria are clear examples of this erroneous strategic approach in the Middle East,” the Iranian President said.

“The strategic blunders of the West in the Middle East, Central Asia and the Caucasus have turned these parts of the world into a haven for terrorists and extremists.”

Mr Rouhaniwas speaking asCabinet ministers were meeting in Parliament to discuss military action against IS militants in Iraq.

US President Barack Obama called on Wednesday for the world to join together to destroy the group, which he branded a “network of death”.

In the latest airstrikes, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates joined the US-led operation to destroy oil refineries in eastern Syria which produce revenue for IS.

But Syrian Kurds who fled towns and cities overrun by IS said the group had responded to the airstrikes by focusing its assault near Syria’s border with Turkey.

Mazlum Bergaden, a teacher from Kobani, said: “The situation is very bad. After they kill people, they are burning the villages. When they capture any village, they behead one person to make everyone else afraid.

Some 140,000 Syrian Kurds have crossed into Turkey in the last four days alone, and authorities are preparing for many more.

More follows…

If the article suppose to have a video or a photo gallery and it does not appear on your screen, please Click Here

25 September 2014 | 5:28 pm – Source: orange.co.uk

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.