One of the Israeli teenagers found dead in the West Bank called police shortly after the group’s abduction and told an officer: “They’ve kidnapped me.”
Israeli police have released audio of the emergency call, which is believed to have been made by 16-year-old kidnap victim Gilad Shaar.
The teenager went missing last month alongside Eyal Yifrach, 19, and Naftali Frenkel, 16, while hitch-hiking home from the Jewish seminaries where they studied near Hebron.
In the recording, Mr Shaar is heard whispering: “They’ve kidnapped me.”
Voices are also heard speaking Arabic, with one person saying: “Keep your head down, keep your head down!”
Sky’s Diplomatic Editor Tim Marshall said: “The police have now released the tape. It appears one of them says: ‘We’ve been kidnapped.’
“You then hear a lot of shouting in Arabic about ‘Get down, get down.’
“And then there is a lot of noise, which it’s not sure what it is, but it may be gunfire.”
The call, which was reportedly made shortly after the abduction, was initially dismissed by operators as a hoax.
Emergency hotline workers have been disciplined for the mishap, which delayed rescue efforts for several hours.
The boys’ bodies were found beneath a pile of rocks in an isolated spot close to the West Bank city late on Monday, some three weeks after they went missing.
The search for the missing teens led to the most extensive Israeli ground operation inside the West Bank for a decade.
Israel has accused the Hamas militant group of carrying out the abduction, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that “Hamas will pay.”
Israeli fighter jets bombed dozens of sites in the Gaza Strip, hours after vowing to take revenge on the kidnappers in retaliation for a series of rocket attacks from the territory.
A man was also shot dead after allegedly throwing a grenade at troops attempting to arrest a militant in the Jenin refugee camp.