There are thousands of types of mold and some species produce micro toxins or chemicals which can cause a number of neurological problems and even death.
In microbiology, the term mildew covers an entire system of a diverse group of fungi. The larger variety of molds usually originate from saprophytes (Greek σαπρός [sapros] = “rotten”].
Some molds have great significance for people because of the way of life in certain ecological areas like human parasites, but also as a dietary supplement (e.g. special types of cheese), a biological source of antibiotics (Penicillin), and raw materials for pharmaceuticals for lowering cholesterol (Lovastatin).
On the other hand, the development of the mold Aspergillus flavus is obtained as a product called alfa toxins or micro toxic matter of two types of plesenni fungi. They, however, are developed in many different food products affected by high humidity – about 80%, and heat – from 7 to 40 degrees.
The aflatoxin B1 has the strongest carcinogen effect that can be detected even in the milk or meat of animals. It can be found in nuts, rice, wheat, dried fruits, spices and fresh vegetable oils.
People need to be especially careful with various household products that have visible mold. Common examples are jars with compote on which you can rarely recognize mold, so you need to remove the mold section and for additional safety you need to remove a thicker layer from under the mold.
Seen under a microscope level, mold grows in thin filaments called hyphae that spread around the same as the roots of a tree do.
However, this is not something that is visible to the naked eye, even when you cut out the section that has visibly been affected by mold, part of this infectious colony remains even on the rest of the food that you think is clean, because of the visual moment where you don’t see the remaining mold.
The most common example of this case is bread, fruit and vegetables and by removing the moldy part, you haven’t solved the problem because you aren’t aware where the colony has spread. If the mold has spread to only a very small part of the food, you often think that it is safe to remove that part and eat the rest of it which seems perfectly healthy and safe, whether it is a fruit, vegetable or bread. However, this is a really bad idea that you should never try again.
Still, for this kind of food the best thing is not to think about it and just throw it away, because the complications and problems that can occur in your body as a result of mold can be serious and even fatal.
When you see apples that have brown spots, they must also be removed. People often save and don’t throw bread away, but if it has some mold on it people risk more than saved up money – they risk their health. Moldy bread can cause intoxication where a person feels and behaves like they’re drunk.