At least 10 people have been killed in an attack on a Nigerian village near the scene of the abduction of more than 200 girls.
Suspected Islamist militants were behind the attack inKautikiri village, three miles from Chibok, which comes two months since the school pupils were kidnapped.
In a separate assault on Friday, insurgents killed seven soldiers in the village of Goniri, in Yobe state, a security source and witnesses said.
Nigeria’s northeast has been beset by violence over the past year, with the abduction of the schoolgirls by Boko Haramattracting international attention to the problems.
Efforts to free them have so far failed.
Samuel Chibok, a survivor of the attack on Kautikiri village, said around 20 men in a Toyota pick-up truck and motorcycles rolled into town.
“Initially I thought they were military but when I came out, they were firing at people,” he said.
“I saw people fleeing and they burned our houses. Smoke was billowing from our town as I left.”
He added that some people had died in the attack, including two of his relatives.
A local pro-government vigilante, who declined to be named, said residents had so far recovered 10 bodies from the village.
Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in largely Muslim northern Nigeria, has killed thousands since launching an uprising on 2009, and many hundreds in the past three months.