Paul Hill: Teesside man ‘scarred for life’ after stomach bursts into flames at the University of North Tees in Stockton

Man 'scarred for life' after stomach bursts into flames
Scarred for life: Paul Hill’s stomach caught alight in the operating theatre (Picture: Gazette)

A man was left scarred for life when his stomach burst into flames while undergoing surgery.

It is thought an alcohol-based steriliser ignited while Paul Hill was on the operating table at the University of North Tees in Stockton.

The 43-year-old was under general anaesthetic having treatment for a hernia when the accident happened.

Hospital have now launched an investigation into what went wrong in the operation theatre.

Mr Hill, a father-of-four from Thornaby in Teesside, suffered permanent scarring during the incident.

He only realised what happened after he came round from the anaesthetic. He needed the operation due to a long-running battle with the condition familial adenomatous polyposis.

He told the Middlesbrough-based Gazette newspaper: ‘I didn’t even know it was possible. When they told me I didn’t know what to think.’

Mr Hill, who works for Morrisons, said he hoped the hospital would learn from his experience, as it could kill another patient.

A spokeswoman for the North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust said: ‘We take incidents like this extremely seriously.

‘A thorough investigation into what happened and what can be put in place to prevent this happening again has almost been concluded.’

22 May 2014 | 12:50 pm – Source:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.