Rolf Harris Guilty Of 12 Indecent Assaults

Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris has been found guilty of a string of indecent assaults against underage girls.

Harris, whose showbiz career spans more than 60 years, was impassive as the jury returned guilty verdicts on all 12 counts after a seven-week trial at Southwark Crown Court.

He will be sentenced on Friday.

It is the highest profile conviction achieved by officers from Scotland Yard’s Operation Yewtree team – the unit set up to investigate historical sex abuse claims in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.

During the trial, four females described their ordeal at the hands of Harris – with the youngest being just seven or eight years old.

He was accused of indecent assaults dating between 1968 and 1986, but several other women gave bad character evidence against him at the trial, reliving how they had been molested by him as late as 1991.

Prosecution sources confirmed to Sky News that dozens of other women have also come forward during the trial claiming they too were also assaulted by him and police are considering whether to bring further charges.

The main complainant against Harris – who performed in the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012 – was the best friend of the Australian born cartoonist and singer’s daughter daughter Bindi.

The now 49-year-old woman told how she was first molested by Harris after she stepped out of a shower during a holiday in Hawaii in 1978 with Bindi and the rest of her family.

He then groped her again on the beach before carrying out further attacks on her in the bedroom of his family home in Australia – as Bindi slept nearby – and the assaults continued back in Britain.

Prosecutor Sasha Wass described Harris as a ”sinister pervert” who used his fame to get close to young women and girls adding that he had a ”dark side” and was a ”Jekyl and Hyde character”.

Key to the case was a letter written by Harris to the father of the main victim in 1997 after she had told her parents of the abuse she had suffered as a teenager.

In it, Harris wrote how he was in a ”state of abject self-loathing”, adding he was ”sickened” by the ”misery I have caused”.

The prosecution said it amounted to a confession of his indecent assaults on her and which went on until she was 29 years old – only ending when she moved to Norfolk.

The other allegations involved attacks on a girl in Portsmouth in 1968-1969, a woman in Cambridge sometime between 1975 and 1979 and an Australian woman called Tonya Lee who was molested in a London pub in 1986.

In an interview broadcast last year Ms Lee said: ”I don’t know how he lives his life day to day, and I don’t know how he sleeps at night.”

More follows…

If the article suppose to have a video or a photo gallery and it does not appear on your screen, please Click Here

Source: orange.co.uk
———————————————————————————————————————

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.