Salisbury Steak Meatballs (Instant Pot, Stove Top, Slow Cooker)
These beefy meatballs are cooked in a mushroom gravy and lightened up by using half ground turkey and half lean ground beef. Kid-friendly, comforting and delicious!
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, divided
- kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 5 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Finely chop 1 oz of the mushrooms into small pieces and set aside. Heat the Instant Pot (or a large nonstick pot on medium-high) on Sauté add 1 tsp oil and onions and cook until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Divide onions in two.
- In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions with the ground beef, ground turkey, chopped mushroom, bread crumbs, egg, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1/4 cup of the beef broth, 3/4 tsp salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, blend flour and 1 cup broth until smooth. Mix in remaining onions, remaining 1 tbsp tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
- Gently shape into 20 small meatballs.
- Heat the Instant Pot (or non-stick pot) back on saute, add remaining teaspoon of oil and brown the meatballs about 2 minutes until no longer sticks, turn and brown an additional 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper and pour the sauce over the meatballs, cover and cook on high pressure 10 minutes (20 minutes in a regular pot). Let the pressure release on it’s own. Garnish with parsley.
Slow Cooker Directions: Saute meatballs in a skillet, transfer to slow cooker with mushrooms, salt and pepper and pour sauce over. Cover and cook low 6 to 8 hours, until tender.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 5 meatballs
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 6
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 271
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 124mg
- Sodium: 741mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 28g