San Bernardino: Couple ‘who opened fire on workplace’ shot by police

Married couple killed in standoff with police after killing 14 at Christmas party
A couple embraces following the shooting at a social services facility (Picture: David Bauman/The Press-Enterprise via AP)

Two suspects in a California workplace shooting that left 14 people dead have been killed by police.

Officials identified the gunmen as Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and his wife Tashfeen Malik, 27.

The massacre in San Bernardino is the deadliest mass shooting in the US since 26 people were killed at a school in Newtown, Connecticut, in 2012.

It is also the 355th mass shooting in the US this year – meaning that there have now been more mass shootings in America than calendar days in the year.

Farook had attended a festive party for his workplace being held at the Inland Regional Centre, a social services facility that works with disabled people, on Wednesday morning.

Police officers conduct a manhunt after a shooting rampage in San Bernardino, California December 2, 2015. REUTERS/Mike Blake TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY
Police launched a manhunt after the rampage (Picture: Reuters)

He left the party ‘angry’ after a dispute of some sort, according to Chief Jarrod Burguan of the San Bernardino Police Department.

Farook then returned with Malik at around 11am, heavily armed. The couple were later killed in a bloody shootout with police.

Burguan told the New York Times it was not clear if a third person taken into custody after the shooting was involved.

US-born Farook had worked as an environmental inspector with the county health department for five years.

Colleagues said he went to Saudi Arabia earlier this year to get married, and returned with his wife – reportedly a pharmacist – and they had a baby soon after. Their daughter was just six months old.

‘I cannot express how sad I am for what happened today,’ Farook’s brother-in-law Farhan Khan said during a press conference with the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Farhan Khan (C), brother-in-law of San Bernardino shooting suspect Syed Farook, speaks at the Council on American-Islamic Relations during a news conference in Anaheim, California, December 2, 2015. REUTERS/Mike Blake
Farhan Khan, brother-in-law of Syed Farook, said he was ‘in shock’ (Picture: Reuters)

‘My condolences to the people who lost their lives. I am in shock something like this could happen.

‘I have no idea why he would do that. Why would he do something like this? I have absolutely no idea. I am in shock myself.’

Co-workers and former neighbours said Farook was ‘very quiet’.

‘I would say hi and bye,’ colleague Griselda Reisinger told the LA Times, ‘but we never engaged him in conversation. He didn’t say much at all.’

And neighbour Maria Gutierrez told The NY Daily News: ‘I know he was very smart. He went to college early. He and his brother were always working in the garage until like 11pm at night.

‘I think his mom was a nurse and his older brother was in the military.

‘If it’s him, I’m very surprised.’

MORE: At least 14 dead in ‘mass shooting’ at Inland Regional Center in California

MORE: ‘Multiple victims’ in shooting at family planning centre in Colorado Springs

If the article suppose to have a video or a photo gallery and it does not appear on your screen, please Click Here

3 December 2015 | 8:27 am – Source: metro.co.uk

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.