Two friends have died just eight hours apart after taking the same legal high.
Aston Martin engineer Carl Fearon, 24 and accountant, Lynette Nock,28, died after taking GBL, which is commonly used as an alloy wheel cleaner.
Single mother of one, Ms Nock, staged an ‘impromptu wake’ shortly after Mr Fearon died. It is reported that Ms Nock took GBL herself during the event before she fell unconscious, was rushed to hospital and died.
The two friends are thought to have been part of a group of partygoers who used various recreational drugs including mephedrone (also known as meow meow) and ketamine at weekends.
Senior coroner, Louise Hunt, described the legal highs as a ‘coma in a bottle’ and stated:
‘This case highlights the very extreme risks that people take when using legal highs, particularly in combination with alcohol.
‘These substances shouldn’t be taken and they do have a traumatic effect which your family is living through for the rest of their lives.’